CHECK MY RENEWAL FEES!
How Do I Pay For My DMV Registration Renewal?
The California DMV has made it easier for customers to renew their Department of Motor Vehicles vehicle registration by providing multiple ways to pay for and pick up their stickers. You can do it in person, online, or via mail. The choices to renew your registration are varied in 2021. Here are a few ways you can get it done, from best/quickest, to worst/slowest:
- Visit a licensed registration service: If you like personal service, no lines, and a variety of ways to have your auto tag delivered to you, choose a local private registration service like Quick Auto Tags. These are privately owned businesses that are licensed and bonded to process registration renewals in their offices. Unlike the DMV, there is a convenience fee for the service, however, unlike the DMV, there is virtually no waiting for customers at the local registration services. Sometimes, customers can't even sit down before the registration renewal process is already complete. The personal service that a private registration service offers cannot be paralleled by the DMV or AAA. In addition to the faster and personalized service is the ability for the registration service to deliver your tags & new reg card: issue it to you in person, issue it to you by USPS, UPS, FedEX, GSO, or, even further, have them delivered to you the same day. Also, registration services offers many forms of payments such as PayPal, credit card, ACH, debit card, cash, check, Venmo, Zelle, cash apps, and even invoicing options (depending on the type of customers). Here's the DMV's Business partner locator: California DMV Business Partners - Registration Services
- Renew online through the DMV's website: The DMV does have an option for you to renew your motor vehicle tags online. Their website has the capability to allow its customers to log-in to their website and renew the registration online. Again, like any service the DMV offers directly, there is no fee. However, their service is NOT instant. They will collect your money instantly, but the sticker is not issued right away. In addition, you have to have an email, create a username and a password, and provide private information (driver's license, address information). The registration process can be a pain. Here's the link to their online portal: DMV online portal.
- Go to a local DMV: Go to the DMV personally to pay for and pick up your motor vehicle tag instantly. The great thing about this is that it is instant: you pay for your tags and you get them on the spot. Also, there is no additional service fees or membership fees. Keep in mind that DMV employees and the building that they work in are paid for by your tax dollars, there should be no fee anyway. The drawback to going to the DMV is that you will be waiting for a several hours, even with an appointment, to get to a DMV technician. Sometimes you will go to a DMV and will be seen within 15 minutes, in and out, with no appointment. But for the most part, you will be waiting for hours. Here is a link to the local DMV field office: Field Office Locator
- Go to AAA: Like the local DMV, AAA will let you pay for your registration renewal and get your car tags instantly and in person. However, lately, AAA has started to gain popularity, and they are now starting to develop 40 minute wait lines. Another drawback to using their service is that it is NOT free, you will have to pay for a membership to use their service. For some people the membership fee is well worth the money to avoid the even longer lines of the DMV. Keep in mind, the membership allows for other services, such as notary services & roadside assistance. Here's a link to become a AAA member: AAA for Nothern California or AAA for Southern California
- Pay for your tags by mail: If you receive a reg renewal notice from the DMV you can mail out a check or money order to the DMV directly. The great thing about this is that you avoid having to leave your home and deal with any lines or people. Another benefit is that you get your auto tag delivered to your address directly. The drawback to this of course is that it could take weeks before you receive your auto tag, leaving you wondering, when will it ever get here? The DMV may cash your check or money order as soon as they receive it, but that does not mean that they will send your car tag out right away. Here is the address that is one the reg renewal: DMV RENEWAL, PO BOX 942897, SACRAMENTO, CA 94297-0897.
How do I find out when my motor vehicle registration expires?
Finding out when your registration expires is easy. Below i will list the ways to find out:
- Look at the top of your reg card - it will tell you the date your registration period expires on
- Look at your titles - your titles also indicates when your registration period goes until
- Look at your DMV registrations renewal - it indicates the date of expiration.
What do i need to register a vehicle online?
- License plate number
- Vehicle identification number
What do i need to renew my vehicle registration in person?
- Your annual registration renewal notice or
- your plate number and VIN number or
- Old registration card or
- A completed REG 156 form if you do not have any of the above.
What other things May i need to renew my registration?
- Auto insurance card
- Annual smog
- Proof of correction (this happens when there is a recall on your vehicle - usually when there's a recall on your vehicle and it is reported to the DMV it is California emissions related)
- If you're operating a large commercial vehicle that operates above 54,999lbs you will need to provide proof that your road tax/2290 form
How do I check the status of my vehicle registration in California?
- You can call us, email us, text us, or complete the form at the top of this page to get your registration fees
- You can call the DMV @ the following number
- You can use the DMV fee calculator
I lost my registration card, sticker or license plate, can i get a replacement one?
Losing your reg card, sticker or license plate is no longer a problem that is too difficult to resolve.
How Can I renewal my boat's registration?
The DMV refers to anything that operates on water as a "vessel" - to renew your vessel you need the following information:
- The hull identification number
- Or the vessel renewal notice
What transactions can we NOT help you with?
The California Department of Motor vehicles has authorized the BPA (Business partner automation program) to do many things that it does at its field offices, however, it is only limited to vehicles. We do not help with the following:
- Driver license or ID card
- Anything to do with your personal information
Commercial Vehicle Registrations
Registration information for large commercial motor vehicles have requirements and options that are not required for regular vehicles. Getting these things done require DMV office visits. Unfortunately these are items that we cannot process in our office - we have to take it to the field office. Listed below are the things you may need to consider:
- Partial Year Registration - Abbreviated PYR, this is an option to renew your vehicles registration partially.
- Motor Carrier Services - if you are needing to renew your motor carrier permit
- Special equipment - SE Plate
For additional information about your particular situation please feel free to call one of our friendly staff members or message us through our chat feature, or shoot us an email today! Renew online today!
Other Auto Registration Renewal Issues
If you're registration is suspended it is for 1 reason and 1 reason only: you did not or do not have auto insurance for your vehicle on file.
If there's an emissions recall on file for your vehicle you will not be able to get your sticker until the recall has been fixed.
Excessive Back Fees
If you owe a lot of back fees - there is a possibility that these back fees can be waived.
VLT Stop On File
VLT stops occur when there is something wrong with the paperwork that was submitted when your vehicle. Find out what the problem is.