Quick Auto Tags Logo

Apply for Lost Title

Have you ever had the sinking feeling that you’ve lost your car’s title? Don’t worry, it happens to the best of us. The good news is that the process for apply for lost title at the California DMV is relatively simple. First, gather all the necessary information. Next, fill out the application form, which you can find on the DMV website. Finally, submit the form along with the required fee. Once your application is processed, you’ll receive a new title in the mail. So don’t panic if you can’t find your title – read the rest of this page and learn the 4 ways to get your original title!

Four Ways to Apply For A Title

The Department of motor vehicles has 4 ways to request a duplicate title.

  1. Apply for it in person at your local DMV office. Click here to locate your nearest office.

  2. If you’re a member of AAA you can apply for it in person. Click here to locate your nearest AAA office.

  3. Mail your required documents & cashier’s check, personal checks, or money order payable to the Department of motor vehicles: DMV ROD, PO BOX 111, SACRAMENTO, CA 924211

  4. Visit Quick Auto Tags or your nearest business partner and process it in person. Click here for our Quick Auto Tags Riverside location or the Quick Auto Tags La Puente location.

What information will I need to order my vehicle's title?

  • Vehicle owner information, including driver’s license and complete name as it appears on the DMV record.

  • full & complete vehicle identification number

  • Address that is currently on the record, unless you are changing the address.

Situations in which I cannot get a duplicate title

  1. Scenario 1 – I am not the person on the title: Only the person that is on the record is authorized to submit a request duplicate title. in order for you to obtain a new title, you must have the personal information, a court order, or power of attorney to be able to obtain the duplicate title. For situations where you are not the original vehicle owner please click here.

  2. Scenario 2 – Duplicate title with a lienholder: If you have a title that has a lienholder on it, and you have misplaced it, you will NOT be able to order a new title. The titleholder Is still the old lienholder, even if you’ve paid it off. The DMV does not know if the loan is paid off or not, so as a result, you will need what is called a “lien satisfied”. Once you have obtained a release from the entity that has the lien you must do what is called a “legal transfer” (to remove the entity that has the lien).

  3. Scenario 3 – I lost my title before I was able to register it into my name: Losing your title before you were able to title it into your name is not uncommon. In situations like these, however, you will not be able to obtain a duplicate title. What happens in these scenarios is that we have to “reconstruct” the missing title so that we can transfer it into your name. Depending on the value of the vehicle the requirements to clear an application like this

I want to change my address before I order my new title

When it comes to ordering a new title another thing that you must keep in mind is the address where the title will be delivered. If the address needs to be updated there are two forms that are required:

  1. REG227 (Replacement Title Application) – Section 1 and Section 3 to be completed

  2. DMV 14 – Complete only the first page of this form. The second section is for driver’s licenses

    Note: If you are getting a duplicate title through a registration service, you must also have a form 5065 form notarized.

I owe a lot of back fees, will I still be able to obtain my title?

The DMV clearly states in its manual: every owner is entitled to a copy of their title, regardless of the circumstance, which includes unpaid back fees. There are a few scenarios that will prevent you from getting a replacement title but owing back fees is not one of them.

I have an ARB hold on my title

apply for lost title california dmv ARB hold

An ARB hold will not prevent you from getting a duplicate title. However, you will need to wait just a little bit longer to get your title due to the hold being on file.

How much does it cost to get a replacement title?

diligent effort bonded title

The title fee is $27. If you do send this out to the DMV make sure you have a check or money order written to the California DMV. Services like licensed registration services do have an additional fee to process the request.

My title is damaged or mutilated, can I replace it?

It is advisable to replace a title that is so badly damaged that the DMV will not accept it. It avoids future headaches for you as the seller and the buyer, if you ever do sell the vehicle or pass it on.

Process the Duplicate Title application for Me

Apply for Lost Title​

Quick Auto Tags can help. We’ll walk you through the process of getting a replacement title in case yours is missing or damaged. It’s fast, easy, and affordable! You won’t have to wait long for your new car title either. If you need us sooner, just let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. Our friendly staff members are standing by ready to answer any questions that may come up along the way so don’t hesitate to give us a call at (951)409-9091 today!


Just complete the form below. We will contact you if we need more information.

Frequently Asked Questions

1 - Apply in person at the DMV

2 - Apply online at the DMV

3 Apply in person at AAA

4 Apply in person at Quick Auto Tags

5 Apply online at Quick Auto Tags

$27.00 - as of this year. However, this fee changes annually. You may also get a new title free of charge IF the DMV never sent it AND if there is no change in address.

Generally speaking, the average customer gets their title within 2 weeks and sometimes sooner. The DMV will issue your title the next day - however, they use the United States Postal Service - so the DMV may send it, but the USPS may not deliver it.

Submit your application and fee (if any) to a DMV office or by mail to:

DMV, P.O. Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269.

When the original California Certificate of Title is lost, stolen, damaged, unreadable, or not received, you must get a replacement. To do this, the vehicle's legal or registered owner (if there's no legal owner on record with the DMV) needs to fill out the "Application for Replacement or Paperless Title" (REG 227) form and pay the required fee for a replacement title.

You don't need to notarize Form REG 227 if the registration doesn't show a legal owner.

Yes, you should check the registration card when using a REG 227 for a vehicle purchase. Here's why:

  1. Match Vehicle Information: Ensure the details on the registration card align with the actual vehicle, especially the VIN.
  2. Owner Details: Verify the current owner's name(s) and how they are joined (like “and/or”).
    Vehicle Specs: Check the license plate number, VIN, make, year, and expiration date.
  3. Title Brands: Look for any title brands, such as 'salvaged'.
  4. Title Status: If it says “Nontransferable/No California Title Issued,” a REG 227 can't be used for this vehicle.

This means that a California title was NOT issued - an out of state title exists, and therefore is NOT transferrable in California without an actual title. DO NOT BUY A CAR THAT HAS THIS BRANDING WITHOUT A TITLE.

Titles are mailed out by the California DMV from Sacramento - you cannot pick these up in person.

This option may not be available due to staffing issues.

The answer is "it depends". If there is a legal owner (finance company) the REG 227 must be signed and notarized by that legal owner. There are other reasons that will prevent you from buying a car with a REG 227 - in general - if the title is free of legal/lien holders and it's low in value - the REG 227 will suffice.


quick auto tags in riverside

Quick Auto Tags in Riverside

5586 Mission Blvd Ste B
Riverside, CA 92509
Tel: (951)409-9091