Quick Auto Tags Logo

Lost Car Title

lost car title california dmv

You’ve searched for hours and can’t find your original title. Now you’re wondering what to do next. Don’t waste any more of your valuable time looking for the original copy of the vehicle’s certificate of ownership (title).There’s a hassle-free solution to getting your lost car title replaced quickly, easily, and affordably with Quick Auto Tags! We will help get your replacement title in no time at all. 

Where can I order my duplicate title?

  • DMV office in person
  • department of motor vehicles by mail – it’s advisable that you send a money order payable to the DMV
  • authorized business partner, licensed by the department of motor vehicles

What information will I need to order my vehicle's title?

  • Vehicle owner information
  • Vehicle identification number

I am not the person on the title

Only the person that is on the record is authorized to submit a request duplicate title. in order for you to obtain a new title, you must have the personal information, a court order, or power of attorney to be able to obtain the duplicate title.

I want to change my address before I order my new title?

When it comes to ordering a new title another thing that you must keep in mind is the address where the title will be delivered. If the address needs to be updated there are two forms that are needed:

  1. REG227 – Section 1 and Section 3 to be completed
  2. DMV 14 – Complete only the first page of this form. The second section is for driver’s licenses

However, if you are getting a duplicate title through a registration service, you must also have a form 5065 form notarized.

Duplicate title with a lienholder

If you have a title that has a lienholder on it, and you have misplaced it, you will NOT be able to order a new title. The titleholder Is still the old lienholder, even if you’ve paid it off.

Once you have obtained a release from the entity that has the lien you must do what is called a “legal transfer” (to remove the entity that has the lien).

I lost my title before I was able to register it into my name

Losing your title before you were able to title it into your name is not uncommon. In situations like these, however, you will not be able to obtain a duplicate title. What happens in these scenarios is that we have to “reconstruct” the missing title so that we can transfer it into your name.

I owe a lot of back fees, will I still be able to obtain my title?

The DMV clearly states in its manual: every owner is entitled to a copy of their title, regardless of the circumstance, that includes unpaid back fees. There are few scenarios that will prevent you from getting a replacement title but owing back fees is not one of them.

I have an ARB hold on my title

An ARB hold will not prevent you from getting a duplicate title. However, you will need to wait just a little bit longer to get your title due to the hold being on file.

How much does it cost to get a replacement title?

The cost to get a replacement title is $23. If you do send this out to the DMV make sure you have a check or money order written to the California DMV. Services like licensed registration services do have an additional fee to process the request.

My title is damaged or mutilated, can I replace it?

It is advisable to replace a title that is so badly damaged that the DMV will not accept it. It avoids future headaches for you as the seller and the buyer, if you ever do sell the vehicle or pass it on.

Quick Auto Tags Can Help

We’ll walk you through the process of getting a replacement title in case yours is missing or damaged. It’s fast, easy, and affordable! You won’t have to wait long for your new car title either. If you need us sooner, just let us know and we will do our best to accommodate your needs. Our friendly staff members are standing by ready to answer any questions that may come up along the way so don’t hesitate to give us a call at (951)409-9091 today!

Just complete the form below. We will contact you if we need more information.


quick auto tags in riverside

Quick Auto Tags in La Puente

13732 Amar Rd Ste A
La Puente, CA 91746
Tel: (626)655-7921

quick auto tags in riverside

Quick Auto Tags in Riverside

5586 Mission Blvd Ste B
Riverside, CA 92509
Tel: (951)409-9091