Quick Auto Tags Logo

DMV Title Replacement

If you’re here it’s probably because you realized that you lost your title, or, never received a title at all. Getting a DMV title replacement is quick & easy – we will give you 4 options to get this done.

The Department of motor vehicles has 4 ways to request a replacement title.

  1. Apply for it in person at your local DMV office. Click here to locate your nearest office.

  2. If you’re a member of AAA you can apply for it in person. Click here to locate your nearest AAA office.

  3. Mail your required documents & money order to the Department of motor vehicles: DMV ROD, PO BOX 111, SACRAMENTO, CA 924211

  4. Visit Quick Auto Tags or your nearest business partner and process it in person. Click here for our Quick Auto Tags Riverside location or the Quick Auto Tags La Puente location.

When You Cannot Request A Duplicate title

  1. If there is a lien holder on the record. A lien release letter must be received in order for you to be able to get a new title under your name.

  2. If you purchased a vehicle and you lost the title – the previous owner is still the owner on the record – you cannot replace the title – you have to transfer the vehicle into your name.

Can I Request a Title with Power of attorney?

The DMV allows individuals that have power of attorney to order replacement titles.

Which Form Needs to Be Completed to order a Replacement Title?

  • The duplicate title form, also known as the REG 227 (shown below) is the form that needs to be completed by the registered owner or legal owner.

  • The DMV 14 form if you need to update the contact information/mailing address.

  • The REG 5065 form if you employ the services of Quick Auto Tags or other registration services.

Which Sections Need to Be completed on the REG 227?

  • Section 1 needs to be completed

  • Section 3 needs to be completed & signed

Note: Section 2 should be blank – you cannot order a replacement title if there is a legal owner.

Note: the Reg 227 form is a 2-page application – only the first page needs to be complete.

Updating my Mailing Address

If the address on the record needs to be updated you must visit the DMV office in person. However, if you choose to do business with a registration service such as Quick Auto Tags you will be able to get it done by completing the REG 5065 form.

Note: the REG 5065 form documents that you are authorizing a registration service to request a duplicate title and change your address. Furthermore, this document must be signed in front of a notary.

You're Out of State & Cannot Visit a DMV office Personally

Quick Auto Tags and other online services like ours make it extremely easy and accessible to order a replacement title. Mail all of your documents to 5586 Mission Blvd, Riverside, CA 92509.

How Much Do I Have to Pay To Get a Replacement title?

The DMV will charge you $23 for a duplicate title. This does not include a fee that has to be paid if you employ the services of a registration service.

Tips to Order Replacement Titles

  • Make sure that the REG 227 form is completed with all the owners listed on the registration card. Additionally, make sure to add the contact information on the forms to be able to be contacted in case there needs to be clarification or translation on the paperwork.

  • Make sure that the Vehicle identification number is completely written out on the REG 227 form along with the driver’s license number and owner’s information.

  • Make sure the check or money order is payable to the DMV. Furthermore, make sure that the VIN number is written out completely on the check.

What to Do Once you Get your Original Title

DMV Title Replacement​

It is advisable that you keep your new title in a secure place. Additionally, do not endorse or sign off on the title if it is not being sold to anyone. Many customers are guilty of signing documents automatically, just because there is a signature line to sign on!

Frequently Asked Questions

1 - Apply in person at the DMV

2 - Apply online at the DMV

3 Apply in person at AAA

4 Apply in person at Quick Auto Tags

5 Apply online at Quick Auto Tags

$27.00 - as of this year. However, this fee changes annually. You may also get a new title free of charge IF the DMV never sent it AND if there is no change in address.

Generally speaking, the average customer gets their title within 2 weeks and sometimes sooner. The DMV will issue your title the next day - however, they use the United States Postal Service - so the DMV may send it, but the USPS may not deliver it.

Submit your application and fee (if any) to a DMV office or by mail to:

DMV, P.O. Box 942869, Sacramento, CA 94269.

When the original California Certificate of Title is lost, stolen, damaged, unreadable, or not received, you must get a replacement. To do this, the vehicle's legal or registered owner (if there's no legal owner on record with the DMV) needs to fill out the "Application for Replacement or Paperless Title" (REG 227) form and pay the required fee for a replacement title.

You don't need to notarize Form REG 227 if the registration doesn't show a legal owner.

Yes, you should check the registration card when using a REG 227 for a vehicle purchase. Here's why:

  1. Match Vehicle Information: Ensure the details on the registration card align with the actual vehicle, especially the VIN.
  2. Owner Details: Verify the current owner's name(s) and how they are joined (like “and/or”).
    Vehicle Specs: Check the license plate number, VIN, make, year, and expiration date.
  3. Title Brands: Look for any title brands, such as 'salvaged'.
  4. Title Status: If it says “Nontransferable/No California Title Issued,” a REG 227 can't be used for this vehicle.

This means that a California title was NOT issued - an out of state title exists, and therefore is NOT transferrable in California without an actual title. DO NOT BUY A CAR THAT HAS THIS BRANDING WITHOUT A TITLE.

Titles are mailed out by the California DMV from Sacramento - you cannot pick these up in person.

This option may not be available due to staffing issues.

The answer is "it depends". If there is a legal owner (finance company) the REG 227 must be signed and notarized by that legal owner. There are other reasons that will prevent you from buying a car with a REG 227 - in general - if the title is free of legal/lien holders and it's low in value - the REG 227 will suffice.


quick auto tags in riverside

Quick Auto Tags in Riverside

5586 Mission Blvd Ste B
Riverside, CA 92509
Tel: (951)409-9091